Skip to main content

Yoga in Triform

Triform students in yoga class

 An article by AnnMarie Costanza

       The ultimate goal of yoga according to Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, is " Yogas cittah vrtti nirodaha". This translates to the cessations of the fluctuations of the mind. This is a lofty goal for the average person even after years of practicing yoga regularly. However, they can achieve momentary stillness of the mind and the reward in those moments is able to hear the wisdom that is in their heart. For the person on the Autism spectrum or the person with OCD or ADHD, quieting the body is a tall order let alone the mind. However, I have been privileged to see firsthand that with yoga it is possible even for the briefest moment. For those brief moments, the student is aware of their breath and their body allowing their mind to come to stillness.

I have been practicing yoga for 10 years and teaching for the last 4years.  I received my training at Satya in Rhinebeck and Sadhana in Hudson both trainings were under the direction of Sondra Loring, the owner of the studios.  I started coming to Triform last year to offer yoga to the staff, once a week.  By coming each week and learning more about Triform and its mission I was inspired to apply to be a Co-worker this year.  It has been rewarding to now live and work in the community and offer the yoga practice to the students as well as the staff.  I have begun to learn how to distil the yoga practice down to its core elements and offer the students a practice where everyone can participate and feel successful.  I set out clear expectations right from the beginning that I only wanted them to attempt to move their body in the way suggested/demonstrated without talking or doing anything to distract the other students.  

The hour long yoga class that I offer to the students at Triform begins and end with a guided meditation while the students are laying on their backs.  This is time for them to try and bring their bodies to stillness and bring their attention to the breath by noticing the rise and fall of the torso.  In between simple yoga-inspired movements are done, linked with awareness of the breath to lengthen and strengthen the muscles, focusing on staying grounded in the body with purposeful movements.  I have a set sequence of poses that varies slightly from week to week.  I want them to be able to start predicting what is coming up but stay open to trying new things as well.  In September there was much moaning and groaning as the students attempted to put their bodies in uncomfortable positions and lots of snoring and fidgeting during the guided meditations.  Now, with the students that have been in class for four months, they are quieter while moving and lay still without falling asleep.  They are also becoming more confident in their ability to do the poses.  Over time, with consistent practice, it is hoped that the students can experience moments on and off the mat when the mind quiets enough for them to hear the wisdom that is in their hearts.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Candlemas as an Agricultural Festival

An article by Ben Davis for Stella Natura Calendar of the Soul verse for the 44 th week: Reaching for new stirrings of the senses, Mindful of Spirit Birth achieved, Clarity of soul imbues Bewildering, sprouting growth of worlds With my thinking’s creator will.

Baking in Triform: Love in the batter

Baking in Triform: Love in the batter by Meg Henderson Holly and Jamie I have a large collection of cookbooks, some I turn to more often than others. They are usually seasonally inspired with fresh organic produce as the staple ingredient. I am actually lulled to sleep often by looking at glossy photos of “ Classic Irish Cabbage and Bacon soup” or “ Roast Lamb with Lemons and Rosemary.” I wonder if this makes me a little odd. I am thrilled to discover when travelling a ‘Whole Foods' market or a ‘Trader Joes', and remember as a student in sub -tropical South Africa taking a bus on Fridays to the Indian markets in the city center to buy fresh curry leaves and coriander for dhal; a marvelously economical dish, lasting several days. However, I digress. I am inspired by the pictures of steaming pasta with pesto and can smell summer in basil’s almost acrid green smell. Most summers I take my turn with other Triform coworkers, with my kids and students to pr

A Visit to Triform's Dairy

It’s just before 6 AM and the day at Triform has already begun. This morning I’m with householder Max vom Stein, his daughter, Lily, and co-worker, Lena, as they start the daily routine of caring for and milking Triform’s cows. These beautiful animals are a big part of the farm and Max was kind enough to give me a tour of the dairy operation to let me get sense of just how these cows fit into the bigger picture of the community. While we talk, Max is busy herding heifer calves born this spring to nurse with their mothers.   He explains that Triform’s herd is a mixed one, combing a variety of breeds, including Jersey, Devon, and Swiss Brown cows.   Once the calves are seen to, we move on to milking. I learn right away that Triform’s cows are more than just livestock; each has their own name and distinct personality. Lily introduces me to Stormy, a very sweet Holstein that I’m told is one of the cows most beloved by the community.   As we settle in to milk, slowly filling our pa